Follow Me on Pinterest!

Monday, September 18, 2017

Differentiated Center Set-Up

I am so happy to finally be at the point in the year where we are starting to get the routine down.  The kids are really starting to get into the groove of things.  I did introduce my centers to my kiddos two weeks ago, but they have been pretty simple.  This is the first week we have differentiated them.

I do love how this system runs.  I feel like it is the best way meet the needs of my kiddos.  My centers are differentiated more for my Math Groups, because we ability group for Reading.  I will do some, but it is not as needed as in Math.  Each student does a different center activity every day.  This way, each student at a center is engaged, but not around others, as to alleviate some behavior issues.

Here is a look at how I set up centers.  These are the bins that hold all of the center items.  I have 6 different centers in my room.  Centers 1 and 4 are iPads, so they are not in a bin.


This is a pocket chart that tell students what center they are at for the day.  I run three groups for Reading and Math.  One group with me, one group at centers, and one group at independent work or with a parent volunteer or assistant.  My centers are 1-iPad, 2-Write the Room or I Spy, 3- File Folder Game, 4- iPad, 5-Manipulative-based, and 6-pocket chart.  I have had 7 centers if I need to, but I usually just add another manipulative based center.  This year, we were able to add another Kinder teacher, so we have smaller classes.  It has been WONDERFUL!  Anywho, moving on.....


This is posted above the pocket chart.  This is a good way for students to remember what group they are in if they don't remember.  


Ok, now this is where the the differentiation comes in.  Each bin has 3 manilla folders in it.  Each group has a different activity based on what they are able to practice correctly and independently.  This works really well.  The kids are great about putting their items back in their folder.  Again, it takes about a week of just teaching centers to make it go smoothly.  But after the routines are set up, it is wonderful.  This works great with my Differentiated Apple Math and Differentiated Apple Literacy Centers.


Here are some of the examples of what might be in the different folders.  This is a file folder game.  Group 1 is matching quantities to numbers up to five, Group 2 is making 5 with red and green apples, and Group 3 is making ten with apples.  File Folder Games are center #3. 


This is the I Spy.  Students go thru and circle numbers either up to 5, 10, or 20 depending on their group.  


Here is a picture of one of my reading students doing this.  


Here are some of my manipulative activities that I have as well.  





There is a lot of information here.  Check out my Differentiated Apple Math and Differentiated Apple Literacy Centers, or look at my Mini Bundle.  I have one for each month.  Just print and go!

We have officially been in school for 17 days, and now that centers are rockin, we are ready to take off!  How is your year going?





No comments:

Post a Comment